Another adventure with the power packed RX10ii. Up until this point, I had dipped my toes into shooting SLog-2 footage, most recently with the Sun Coffee video. For this hiking trip, I just dove right in and shot every clip with SLog setting. I’ve found that broad daylight delivers great results because it gives you more than enough light to expose properly in this camera setting. Mix equal parts high dynamic range, high frame rate and macro videography and the video below is what you get.
For anyone interested, the video below is an alternate version showing the SLog-2 footage before and after LUT’s and grading were applied.
Last friday evening I took a drive out to Southborough, MA on a StudioNow/Yelp assignment to Expressions Art Bar. This small business profile was unique for me because the client asked that we incorporate American Sign Language into the interviews. Expressions offers ASL parties and interpreters, and they rightfully wanted to feature this outstanding service in their video.
A paint instructor and an ASL interpreter leading the paint group
This short film is a suspense/slasher concept. It’s also a love letter to my camera. I developed the concept around the time that I was doing a lot of timelapse and long exposure photography. I was also spending some time shooting video of landscapes, like the Mt. Pollux video I shot last winter. I knew I wanted to juxtapose the serene beauty of the idealized wild with the frenzied blood bath that nature really is.
A few crude storyboards I made “Long Exposure” scenes
We had to re-shoot a few sequences. The first attempt to shoot the stabbing scene didn’t pan out so well. There were some nice shots, but the sequence as a whole wasn’t working in context of what the (lack of) budget could pull off. Night time crept up quickly and cut short what I had planned to capture that day. So we walked away with no usable footage, but a better understanding of how and what to shoot next time. Here’s the original stabbing scene.
Here it is, the final cut of the Hatch Makerspace web video. You can read more about the production process in my early blog post here. I added some shots using a Sony Rx10ii, specifically shots at the Watertown Library and all exterior shots.
Here’s where we ran into a bit of trouble. The t3i began to overheat (my guess) and would no longer turn on after 2.5 hours of interviews. Luckily, we had backup cameras on hand. At first, I put my PXW-X70 in place of the t3i. I knew it would be extra work to make the images match because of very different sensors and codecs. But, I went with it… at first. Below is a sample image from the X70 ungraded and another version that was adjusted with Davinci Resolve Lite 11. I’ll have to take another pass on it to make the green background match the yellow/green in the DSLR footage.
I felt confident swapping the cameras because I knew I had the consistent coverage I needed on the t4i. This one interview is a fraction of the scope of the project, and I could edit around any potential image compatibility problems. Next visit to HATCH will be to gather b-roll of the community space in action.
Another adventure in hand held street peeping. I took the PXW-X70 along for a trip to the Cambridge River Arts festival in early June to get familiar with it before taking it to do a wedding gig later in the month. I’m still green (there’s a colorimetry joke in there somewhere) when it comes to color grading, but it does open a whole new world of post production stylizing that I’m getting excited about. Some time down the line I’m going to have to put together one of those pre/post showcases of color grading work…